1.3 The Australian Privacy Principles govern the use of "personal information", which is information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonable identifiable. It need not matter that the information is correct or not or whether it is recorded in a material form or not.
2. Personal information
2.1 Your Personal Information
Personal information collected and held by us about you, may include:
- date of birth;
- telephone numbers;
- e-mail address;
- drivers licence number;
- drivers licence state;
- employment application information; and
- any other relevant information to enable us or MG Motor Australia to provide services and products to you.
If you choose not to provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the services and/or products you require, or the level of service on which we pride ourselves.
2.2 How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you, when you provide information by telephone, electronic messages (including email and SMS), in documents or otherwise through our website;
- directly from you, via our website (requests for information);
- when you buy a new vehicle from us;
- we may also receive your personal information from MG Motor Australia if you have authorised this;
- we may collect personal information directly from you if you make an enquiry about our vehicles, parts, accessories or services, or if you request a test drive, brochure, specification sheet, information or other materials about our vehicles, parts, accessories or services;
- if you request roadside assistance services;
- from your agents or representatives who act on your behalf;
- from competition entry forms or at our promotional activities or sponsored events;
- from third parties we contract to collect and/or manage data on our behalf;
- from third parties who you have asked or permitted to provide your personal information (including those parties from whom you purchase goods and services);
- from marketing organisations, including through the use of purchased lists;
- from industry databases;
- from publicly available sources such as the Internet and telephone directories; and
- from law enforcement, dispute resolution, statutory and regulatory bodies.
2.3 Website cookies
We may collect cookies from you about your visit to our website to help us to improve our website.
Cookies are small information files which are sent to your computer’s hard drive or mobile device when you visit a website and it will recognise your device on future visits. For example, we may collect the time of your visit, whether you have visited our website previously, whether you used a search engine to find us and some geographical information. For information on disabling these cookies, please go to the privacy settings section within your browser. We may also use analytical web tools such as Google Analytics to collect visitor information for us to better understand how to improve our products and services for you. In addition to the session cookie, Google Analytics uses other data collection methods such as appending query strings to an image request. We store the data generated by Google Analytics securely. We also use other external service providers for the following purposes:
- for web hosting services for this website; and/or
- to gather non-personal information (using cookies) in order to evaluate the website's effectiveness, for example online marketing activities.
3. Disclosure of personal information
We may disclose your personal information to organisations outside of the Company. These organisations may include:
- outsourced service providers who manage services we provide to you including, but not limited to: mailing systems and direct marketing; market research; customer research; payment processors; roadside assistance; training; financial services and insurance;
- government, regularity, law enforcement authorities, organisations, as required or authorised by law;
- our related bodies corporate;
- the agent(s) of any of those entities referred to above;
- your employer (where applicable); and
- our advisors (including legal and accounting advisors).
Those entities are not authorised by us to use personal information for anything other than the purpose for which we supplied that information to them. We may also disclose personal information where you consent to us doing so. That consent may be written, verbal or implied from your conduct.
3.2 Disclosure to overseas recipients
Our related entities and some of our service providers (including information technology service providers) may be located overseas and, as a result, personal information collected and held by us may be transferred overseas. The countries in which these recipients may be located will vary from time to time.
When we disclose your personal information to an overseas recipient, we will comply with the Australian Privacy Principles at all times.
3.3 MG Motor Australia
4. How we use your personal information
Your personal information may be used by us or MG Motor Australia and/or our respective service providers, including (without limitation) in order to:
- provide and market services, parts and products to you;
- communicate to you in relation to our and/or MG Motor Australia's products, parts and services (including, but not limited to roadside assistance, finance, insurance and training) and promotional activities;
- contact you with respect to any promotional campaigns, customer surveys and to ask about your experience in respect of our and/or MG Motor Australia's products, parts and services;
- comply with our and/or MG Motor Australia's legal obligations (including in the event of a vehicle safety recall);
- administer your vehicle's warranty;
- monitor performance and to help us and MG Motor Australia manage our/their services;
- identify and contact individuals who do business with us or MG Motor Australia;
- train our respective employees, agents and representatives;
- conduct customer and market research and analytics to improve the quality of our and MG Motor Australia's products and services;
- assess and process employment applications and manage employment issues; and
- handle complaints and disputes; and detect, investigating and preventing fraud.
We and/or MG Motor Australia may contact and communicate with you either via telephone, post, facsimile, email, SMS or through our respective websites and social media accounts.
4.2 Direct marketing
We will not direct market to you unless you have been given an opportunity to opt out of receiving future direct marketing communications or unless you have otherwise consented to direct marketing. If you do not want to receive such offers from us or do not want us to disclose your personal information to our related entities for marketing purposes, you can opt out at any time by contacting us using our contact details provided below. We do not use or disclose sensitive information for the purposes of direct marketing.
4.3 Social media
We may also, from time to time, use social media platforms to deliver targeted advertisements to you or others who we consider may be interested in our products or services.
For example, we may aggregate your email address together with the email addresses of others, locally hash such data, and transmit the resulting hashed data to third parties including but not limited to Facebook for the purpose of creating “Custom Audiences” (where targeted advertisements are sent to people on Facebook who have already been on our website), and “Lookalike Audiences” (where targeted advertisements are sent to people on Facebook who have similar characteristics to people on our customer list).
5. Electronic communications
The Spam Act 2003 prohibits us from sending you any commercial electronic communications, such as texts and emails containing marketing offers, without your consent.
So in line with our commitment to technology (but within the parameters of the law), we like to accommodate customers who want to be contacted electronically. We might send you communications for any of the purposes mentioned above.
When we collect your personal information, we might ask you for your mobile phone number or email address. When you provide these details, we’ll also request your consent for us to use these details for commercial electronic communications. Whenever such messages are sent, we’ll always provide you with the option of opting out of receiving similar communications in the future within the message.
6. Do not call register
The Do Not Call Register Act 2006 prohibits the making of telemarketing calls (as defined in the legislation) to numbers listed on the Do Not Call Register. In line with our commitment to corporate compliance, we will only contact numbers that appear on the Do Not Call Register in the limited circumstances allowed by the Do Not Call Register Act 2006 and the Telecommunications (Do Not Call Register) (Telemarketing and Research Calls) Standard 2007, such as where you have given us the requisite consent to do so. Where you give us express consent to contact you by phone, we’ll deem it to be supplied for an indefinite period for the purposes of the Do Not Call Register Act 2006, unless otherwise advised or withdrawn by you.
7. Storage of personal information
We may hold your personal information in a number of ways, including:
- in our computer systems or databases, which may involve storing data on storage or computer systems provided by third party suppliers;
- in paper records; and/or
- in telephone recordings.
Where it has been collected from our or your agent, our service providers or MG Motor Australia, they may also hold copies of your personal information. We may combine personal information we receive about you with other information we hold about you. We will store your personal information in a secure environment. It is protected by a combination of physical and technological measures. We have taken all reasonable steps to carefully protect your data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure, alteration or destruction. If you want more information about the way we manage the information we hold please contact us as we would be happy to provide you with further information on our processes. Our contact details can be found at the end of this document.
7.2 Help us ensure we hold accurate information
We take reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide. We recommend that you:
- let us know if there are any errors in your personal information; and
- keep us up to date with changes to this information such as your name and address.
7.3 You can access your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to access your information, please let us know. You may be required to put your request in writing for security reasons and we may charge a fee for searching for and providing access to your information.
8. Updates to this policy
9. Links to other sites
The Company provides access to other sites by way of hyperlinks from this web site. These other sites are not subject to the Company's privacy standards and procedures. You should make your own enquiries as to the privacy standards for each linked site.
10. Contact us
10.1 How to contact us
If you wish to notify us of your new contact details, update your personal information, opt out of direct marketing, make a complaint about a breach of privacy or have any questions in relation to the accuracy of your information or privacy, please contact our Information and Privacy Officer by:
Telephone: 07 3479 0111
Mail: Insert: PO Box 13, Springwood Qld 4127
10.2 Making a complaint
If you believe that we have interfered with your privacy in our handling of your personal information, you may lodge a complaint. We will attempt to resolve your complaint in accordance with our internal complaint’s resolution process.